I'm just putting the finishing touches to an Away Day I am running for a senior team next week. I'm going to take them through a simple yet effective process. We're going to look at where they are now, where they want to be, and how they are going to get there; or, putting it another way, they are going to Review, Refresh and Revv Up.
So if you want to do the same, below is your own review package to help you plan a bumper next few years.
Review, refresh and rev up
Review: where are you now?
- What has gone well, what are you really pleased about? What are youmost proud of?
- What are your current issues or challenges?
- What are your main priorities at the moment?
2. Refresh: where do you want to be?
- Think forward to 3 or 5 years time. Where do you want to be?
- What do you want to be doing, saying and feeling? What do you want your customers or those you work with to be doing, saying or feeling?
3. Rev Up!: How are you going to get there?
- Create a grid or mind map and start planning what you need to do, by when, to get you to where you want to be. Think about the critical milestones along the way.
- What do you need to achieve in each month for the next 3 months. Then look at what you need to achieve for the following 2 quarters. And then six-monthly blocks through next year and beyond.
- ...and importantly, what will you reward yourself with forreaching those critical milestones.
Good luck, and let me know how you get on!
What do you think? Share your thoughts in the comments!